This was my contribution for the Code Generation 2009 conference.
The central idea of my speech was devoted to achieve scalability in MDD tools & methods for industrial application of the MDD technology.
I was so glad to see that Markus Völter and Steven Kelly also just 30 minutes before my talk, were addressing the same key issues in their inspiring keynote: scalability, partitioning, modularization of DSL. This fact reinforce me in the idea that we are really growing as a community (CG) with common problems and aligned in the solutions improving the tools & techniques more and more every year.
There was also time for an small but complete live demo of a small tool socDriven running and demonstrating the concepts explained. The tool was implementing a compiler and merger for a small textual DSL. The DSL was parsed using the OSLO MGrammar to create the AST. A merged engine in a second phase glued the partial specifications producing as output:
- the same specs merged in a unique file,
- the same spec ready to be open with a graphical editor with DSL Tools,
- a full code generation solution on VS2008 containing:
- scripts for SQL Server
- a logic layers with POCOs & full NHibernate mappings
- a default CRUD service definition,
- a default Web Service definition,
- and a Windows Form UI ready to query and execute CRUD operations.
After the generation of the solution, it can be opened with VS, create the DB launching the scripts provided and pressing just F5 for building and running it all! == (a.k.a the utopia of 0 custom code) };-)
Please, feel free to add your comments!